PlayerLands is a venture capital-backed shopping platform designed from the ground up for video games. It lets developers and PC game server-owners set up secure, good-looking, user-friendly stores that sell in-game items to players.
PlayerLands stores are pre-integrated with the world’s leading payment partners, so customers don’t need to do any of their own negotiation or integration, making it appealing even for those with little or no technical skill. And out APIs are as simple and straightforward as we can make them - it’s all about supplying the friendliest, simplest experience, and then helping our customers build their businesses.
As PlayerLands very first business development manager you’ll be responsible for creating and managing deals from start to finish. Reporting to the company’s founders, your job will be to find potential new partners, assess their value, plan the best way to work together, and then implement deals.
You’ll also be building relationships with our existing commercial partners and new ones, and working with the PlayerLands team to bring them onboard and assist in managing their work with the platform. Your open minded and ingenious attitude to problem solving will help you construct the best deal for both sides, and assist the tech team in specifying technical solutions where needed.
You’re flexible, inventive, and enjoy the variety this job brings, as well as relishing the freedom to build the role as you see fit. You’ll have as much guidance as you need from the founders, but we’re a young company on a fast track growth, and we want you to feel part of that and able to express your own vision for where to concentrate our efforts in business development.
- Understand PlayerLands’ strategy and the capabilities of the platform
- Research and identify new business opportunities including new markets, growth areas, trends, customers, partnerships, products and services
- Find, evaluate and connect with appropriate contacts in target businesses
- Generate leads, call prospective customers, use social media and forums to foster new connections
- Meet customers and potential clients face-to-face, via Zoom or over the phone
- Develop relationships with customers/clients
- Oversee the partnership process from first contact through negotiation, to engineering and tech development where needed, onboarding and ongoing management
- Understand the needs of your customers and respond effectively to help them meet those needs with our platform
- Feedback areas for development and features that clients would like to see that aren’t currently part of the roadmap
- Work strategically - plan, implement and work with the founders to meet the company’s KPIs
- Draw up client contracts and heads of terms - depending on deal size this task may be completed by our solicitors, and many agreements will be less formal
- Grow you team, and educate staff, arranging external training where needed
- Discuss promotional strategy and activities with the marketing department, using advertising and social media to help achieve your targets
- Actively look for ways of improving the way the business operates
- Attend seminars, conferences and events - some in the UK, some in Europe and the US
- Keep abreast of trends and changes in video games, and especially in PC multiplayer
- Experience generating leads and developing sales pipelines
- Minimum 2 years in B2B sales/BDM
Advantageous further qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and/or MBA
- Experience of roles in the video games industry
- Experience in deal making, monetisation and financial modelling
- £35k - £60k salary dependent upon experience, plus bonus
- 21 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Remote working
- Laptop, mobile phone
- Share options scheme available